On Friday 18th January, local Slough Conservative members met at their AGM to elect a new set of officers to lead the Slough Association and discuss our plans for the year ahead. As a new elected team, we couldn’t be more honoured to serve our members and residents in 2019.
We know residents need us more than ever. After 10 years of failure by our Labour led-council, we look forward to being able to offer an alternative vision for our town that puts the interests of residents in our town first. Everywhere you look, Labour failure in Slough is plain for all to see.
- They have neglected our quality of life, such as blindly backing Heathrow expansion without proper measures to mitigate the impact on all our health, and Slough as the third most polluted town in the South East with one of the highest levels of childhood asthma in the country, it is our young who will suffer most.
- Their lack of care for our most vulnerable shouldn’t be a surprise given Children’s Services was removed from SBC by central government in 2016 following "serious failures" that left children "being harmed or at risk of harm" whilst nearly one-third of our schools are below or coasting the national standards.
- They have put our town under pressure from unsustainable development, turning some of our urban areas into virtual ghettos, rife with crime and drugs, and are putting precious green space under threat from being built on such as those at Bower Playing Fields.
- They have let our high street and town centre fall into such a state that the local economy loses millions to other local towns every year and in 10 years it has fallen over 100 places to 163rd as a shopping destination in England.
- They continue in true Labour fashion to waste our hard-earned council tax – spending millions on new debt to buy a new council HQ, fund vanity projects and pay-off council staff – which much like the last Labour government, will leave our children to pay the price.
- Nationally we are represented by Labour MP, Tan Dhesi, who has ignored the will of the majority in Slough voting consistently for a second referendum on Brexit, and a Labour party whose spending plans would leave us with so much debt that even our Labour-led council would be proud.
In contrast, a Conservative government continues to deliver for Slough - the highest employment rate on record in Slough and the UK, a falling deficit being paid off after what Labour left in 2010, record rises in exports and inward investment helping our economy, world-leading environmental protection policies, record increases in the national living wage, an average income-tax cut of £2400 for working families and a massive £20.5bn extra per year for the NHS. On top of that, only the Conservatives support expansion of Grammars, the very schools that perform best in our borough whilst Labour reject them. The difference couldn’t be starker.
We speak to hundreds of residents every week, and the clear majority are waking up to the realities of Slough under Labour – they know that come the local elections in May this year, it will finally be time for change. The curtain must fall on their 10 years of failure, and when it does, we stand ready to deliver a Slough that works for everyone.
From the new Officers of the Slough Conservative Association